At Meadows Primary school, we want to create a passion for music that will stay with our children in their future lives. We want to ensure that music is an inspiring and engaging experience that enables every child to develop their musical potential and develop an appreciation of the value of music that is deeply personal to them. We want children to have a curiosity for the subject and a respect for the role that music may play in any person’s life.
We endeavour to provide a variety of musical experiences through a curriculum that develops learning, improves knowledge and promotes pupil well-being by building up the confidence of all children. Music can impact the way children think, feel and act. We want music to encourage the body and mind to work together, develop motor skills and allow self-expression.
As a result of our music curriculum we want our children to:
By the time the children leave Meadows they will:
- Explore the musical heritage, culture and traditions of Ketley and other countries.
- Develop a love and appreciation of music.
- Make judgements and express personal preferences about the quality and style of music.
- Listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of genres, styles and historical periods.
- Create and compose music both individually and collaboratively.
- Develop an ability to develop rhythm, structure and organisation.
- Be given opportunities to play a wide variety of instruments both tuned and un-tuned.
Read and write musical notation.
- Have knowledge of and use a range of musical vocabulary to discuss music and develop descriptive language skills.
- Sing in tune using voices to create different effects.
- Take part in performances with an awareness of audience.
- Display a deep understanding of our school values by listening to, interpreting and expressing themselves through music.